7.21.2009

UPS worker shot in cold blood


This is a tragedy, the delivery man shot in cold blood, during work, at 10 AM. The incident is the next heart-breaking installment of what has been an ultra violent summer here in northern Illinois. As the article indicates, they have one suspect in custody, and are looking for the second. This story troubled me because it brought out a side of myself that I normally don't experience. I thought, what if this had happened to one of my loved ones??? Would I be consumed with anger? Thoughts of revenge? Would I be occupied with thoughts about getting my own justice?? The answer was an overwhelming yes.

I know the old adage an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, leaves everyone blind and toothless, and I'm read up on the reasons for/against the death penalty - but when the rubber hits the road of a human tragedy, I don't care, I totally understand why families of victims go for the death penalty. If someone intentionally, and in cold blood critically maimed/killed one of my family members - I think I just might find the needed release in dispatching the killer into the next world myself. Strong words I know, especially since I'm a medical student, oh well, at least I'm not in it for the $$$. Lets see, maybe the killer expresses remorse, thats one thing, remorse if forgivable. But what if the killer doesn't express remorse? What is right? What's the ultimate utility of taking another life? Aside from possible benefits to society by deterrence, reduction in the tax burden yada yada. What is the utility to the victim for taking the life of the killer? Thats the question I would try to answer.

No comments: